Saving is a key principle. People who make a habit of saving regularly, even saving small amounts, are well on their way to success. It’s important to open a bank or credit union account so it will be simple and easy for you to save regularly. Then, use your savings to plan for life events and to be ready for unplanned or emergency needs.
Actions You Can Take
- Start saving, form a savings habit, and pay yourself first!
- Open and keep an account at a bank or credit union that meets your needs.
- Track your savings and investments, and monitor what you own
- Plan for short-term and long-term goals
- Build up emergency savings for unexpected events
- Consult with a qualified professional on investments and other key financial matters
- Save for retirement, children’s education and other major items